Instruction How to reset Cartridge For Brother DR221CL Low Toner message
The message 'Replace Drum (BK)' will appear on the display of the Brother machine when the black drum unit has reached the end of its life and needs to be replaced. The machine will continue to print, however, if the drum unit is not replaced you may have a print quality issue.
There are many factors that determine the actual drum life, such as the temperature, humidity, type of paper, type of toner used, and so on. Under ideal conditions, the average drum life is estimated at approximately 15,000 pages. The actual number of pages that your drum will print may be significantly less than this estimate. Since we have no control over the many factors that determine the actual drum life, we cannot guarantee a minimum number of pages that will be printed by your drum.
Brother strongly recommends that customers use only genuine Brother drum units and/or toner cartridges. Each Brother laser printer is designed to work at pre-set temperatures that are matched exactly to each of our individual toner formulations. Each individual component is designed to work with the other to ensure quality and reliability. Using non-Brother supplies may affect the hardware performance, print quality, and machine reliability. The Brother limited warranty does not apply to any problem that is caused by the use of third party drum units, toner cartridges, or toner.
The drums are replaced as a set (Yellow, Magenta, Cyan, Black) - part number DR221CL.
1. Lift the top cover using the indented handle in the center until you hear a click.
NOTE: Failure to completely open the top cover when removing and installing consumables may cause severe damage to the machine. The top cover is completely open when the cover locks in place and does not require support from the user.
2. Take out the black drum unit and toner cartridge assembly.
3. Push down the green-labeled lock lever and take the toner cartridge out of the drum unit.
4. Push down the green-labeled lock lever (1) and take the toner cartridge out of the drum unit.
- DO NOT put a toner cartridge into a fire. It could explode, resulting in injuries.
- DO NOT use cleaning materials that contain ammonia, alcohol, any type of spray, or any type of flammable substance to clean the outside or inside of the machine. Doing this may cause a fire or electric shock
- DO NOT inhale the toner.
NOTE: We recommend that you place the drum and toner cartridge assembly on a clean, flat surface with a sheet of disposable paper or cloth underneath it in case you accidentally spill or scatter toner.
5. Unpack the new drum unit and pull off the protective cover.
NOTE: Wait to unpack the drum unit until immediately before you put it in the machine. Exposure to direct sunlight or room light may damage the drum unit.
6. Reinstall the toner cartridge back into the drum unit. Make sure that you put in the toner cartridge properly. When you slide the toner into the drum unit, you will hear a small click when the toner is installed and the green lock lever on the drum unit will lift automatically.
NOTE: Make sure that you re-install the toner cartridge properly, or it may separate from the drum unit.
7. Reinstall the drum unit and toner cartridge assembly into the machine by sliding it into the correct slot by matching the toner cartridge color to the same color label on the machine.
8. When you replace a drum unit with a new one, you must manually reset the drum counter. If the drum counter is not reset, the machine will continue to display the message 'Replace Drum (BK)'.
a. Press the UP OR DOWN ARROW key to select Machine Info. Press OK.
b. Press the UP OR DOWN ARROW key to select Reset Parts Life. Press OK.
d. Press the UP OR DOWN ARROW key to select Black (BK). Press OK.
e. Press the UP ARROW to reset the drum unit counter. The display will show 'Accepted' and the machine will return to the Reset Menu.